Monday, January 18, 2010

My Ultimate Icon


As I was talking with my brother the other morning about books and stories we used to read, I had an epiphany. Could it be that my ultimate style icon has, all this time, been Milly-Molly-Mandy? It makes sense - I have subconsiously been searching for the perfect simple little frock, and the perfect little pair of brown ruddy boots for longer than I can remember; and our soft-back, pink and white covered collection of Milly-Molly-Mandy stories was, and still is, my favourite book of all time.

Millicent Margaret Amanda was a simple character, but by no means boring or brainless (take, for example, her name - which was changed to Milly-Molly-Mandy for convenience sake). The adventures she had were rivetting and exciting, and so well written that even adults secretly enjoy them. She lived out my dream life - residing the Nice White Cottage with the Thatched Roof with Muvver and Farver and Grandma and Grandpa and Uncle and Aunty: she had her entire family right there, all day, every day. She had two best friends, a boy and a girl, and they were Billy Blunt and Little Friend Susan respectively. And every day she was doing something interesting - tad-poling with Billy Blunt, furnishing the perfect treehouse with Little Friend Susan, camping in the field with tents fashioned from chairs and sheets, running errands and making profits, and going carolling at Christmas. There were so many stories I can't even remember them all - and they were all the stuff of a great genious. Joyce Lankester Brisley, the author, had the right idea... write stories about everything you did, or wish you did when you were little. Add security (the heroine always wears the same thing - a little pink-and-white striped cotton frock); family and friends; the healthy morals and standards of the 1930's and a little bit of humour, and those stories will last forever, imprinted on the minds of those who ever read them. I always wanted to be Milly-Molly-Mandy, nay, I was : every single time I picked up that book.

The Age - on Milly-Molly-Mandy and her lifestyle

So, if MMM is my style icon, or indeed my life icon, how do I live?

Well, I already have a best boy and best girl friend, thats easy - Tom and Meg (Little Friend Meggie heh heh!). They've always been that. Next, the hair. Believe it if you will, but I had a little, dark bob for almost my entire life, well, until my muvver ceased to control that area of my being. And, as mentioned before, I have always been in search for the perfect little frock and pair of brown boots, but have never found The Ones. I really hope that one day we will be united (I'm sure that when we are, they will be my uniform). You already know that my family is one of the most important aspects of my life, and I think this is reflected in MMM's as well. Of course it is! She lives with every single one of them. And they all have the biggest influence on her life as she grows up. My Grandma and Grandpa actually only lived across the creek when we were growing up - so we were pretty lucky as well. I feel really sad for people who don't have their family close.

Finally, the biggest thing in common I would wish to have is her personality. MMM is the nicest, sweetest, most genuine person you will ever come across. She helps animals; she loves her family and friends and would do absolutely anything for any of them; she doesn't worry about the little things and always comes up with a solution; she always does a good job and doesn't give up til she's finished something properly; she shares everything; she helps when she can; and she always puts others before herself. Everybody loves Milly-Molly-Mandy, and that's the reason why. I think she makes for a very good Ultimate Life Icon.




xx OTIG

No comments:

Post a Comment